Sunday, January 23, 2011

A week in Tangerang

Several updates...

1-20-11

Hello – so not too much to report – I am hanging out in Tangerang – just outside Jakarta, this week. It has been a little stressful as my plan has changed several times – initially I was going to stay here for a week then go to Bali, where the WR office is now, for some meetings, then on to Papua with Heidy. The other plan was to go right on to Papua to get settled in there and it has gone back and forth between those. Because I like to be doing all the time, it was frustrating at first being here and not having much to do. But I have had some quality time with God, practiced my bahasa Indonesia, Jessy’s brother-in-law showed me around Tangerang and Jakarta a bit the first two days, and yesterday 2 other interns arrived. Today I will be driving with them and Jessy out to Puncak where they will be staying as volunteers with the refugee project. I was feeling completely inept at the language and culture until they arrived and I realized I actually have come at least a little ways since first arriving – my time here is being used. I am learning just by being here and practicing just being – a lesson God sometimes has to remind me off; it is not always about doing.

Evening:

Made the journey to Puncak – it is a nice area – up in the mountains outside Jakarta so it was nice and cool! It was a long journey though… I made the trek to the mall to email and I am drinking sirsak juice….I discovered it at the recommendation of Jessy – it is a tropical fruit I hadn’t heard of before and the juice is pretty tasty:) So far the food has been good, I’ve tried nasi goring (fried rice), ayam bakar (grilled chicken), soto betawi (coconut/beef soup…), and more…

1-23
So I keep saving my blog posts to last and then have trouble with the internet so I am going to add a short bit and hopefully will have no problems this time! Today was Sunday and I went to church with Jessy and her family – first to their home church then to another church where Arif (Jessy’s husband) was preaching. I really enjoyed the praise and worship – even without knowing all the words it is easy to worship God. My bahasa Indonesia is not good enough to understand a sermon but I am getting used to hearing the language so I can pick out the words that I know and at least piece together the general idea, and Jessy was translating some of the key words on paper for me during the sermon.

The second church is pastored by a man from Papua. I was caught off guard – though I shouldn’t have been considering it is the same anytime I have traveled - as I was asked to share what I will be doing in Papua. It was a blessing to be able to worship today in both churches. Despite not knowing all the words and meanings, during my prior travels to Africa a highlight has been worshipping in churches that are so alive and filled with the spirit and that held true today as well. It was especially good to praise today after hearing good news from home – praise Jesus for the end of phase 1 of mom’s treatment with good results and prayers for recuperation and continued healing so the tumor is 100% gone by surgery time!

No comments:

Post a Comment