This first blog is overdue but it has been pushed back – first by finishing classes, then family time and work, and now organizing, packing and all those other last minute things. It is hard to believe but I leave for Indonesia Monday evening! I have had moments of panic – “what was I thinking” over the last few months and also moments of great excitement. Yet, right now I don’t think it has quite hit me how soon I am leaving as I feel too mellow considering the huge step I will be taking shortly.
Yesterday I went back to some of the verses that God has given me during the past six months of preparations for this time and I just wanted to share some thoughts. I read two verses at the end of the summer when I had one of those “what am I thinking” moments… I am not smart enough, good enough, faithful enough to do this…. Yes God has given me gifts and strengths, but I am also full of weaknesses and areas that He is still working on. Then as I was reading my Bible, I was led to 1 Corinthians 1:25-31 and encouraged by the reminder that God uses us in our weakness so that we “boast in the Lord” not ourselves.
This then reminded me of the jars of clay verse in 2 Corinthians 4:7, another encouragement that God works through the everyday, again so that His “all surpassing power” is evident, not ours. Thinking through these verses again at Christmas time is fitting as the Christmas story illustrates this idea. Jesus, God’s son, came into the world as a baby, the child of a woman, in a stable… God’s greatest gift to us came through the everyday and lowly of the world.
The title of this blog – Treasures - initially came from this verse. I like it not only as reminder, but also in expectation of all the treasures in store for me. And through this blog I hope to share some of those treasures with all of you.
No comments:
Post a Comment