Monday, January 17, 2011

Jogjakarta

Selamat Sore – So language classes are finished and it was too short! I enjoyed it and am enjoying learning a new language but it is frustrating because I feel so slow! It has been a while since I have taken a language class! The funny thing is that sometimes when I am trying to think of the right word, the German word comes to me even though I haven’t taken German since high school and don’t remember much – my brain apparently digs deep into whatever language is in there somewhere. You can pray for continued language learning!

The language course was in Jogjakarta, the cultural capital and university city – I think the driver said there are around 70 universities there – reminded me of Boston in that sense. The first 2 days were busy with studying and getting over jet-lag but the 2nd two days I did get to see some of the culture and the city. I went to the Ramayana Ballet, a Javanese epic – the story of Rama and his wife Shinta who is kidnapped by the evil Rawana. It was very interesting, the dance movements and expressions are so controlled (not sure this is the word I am looking for) but the meaning and story come through even the smallest of movements. The performance was at the Prambanan Temple, a large Hindu temple, and it was at night so it was all lit up – very magnificent.

I also saw the Kraton – the Sultan’s palace in Jogja, and walked up Jalan Malioboro – the street with good shopping for Batik’s. It was very crowded and hot and a little stressful, not quite “fun” but encouraging for me to navigate the city, day, culture, and practice some bahasa Indonesia. Inside the Kraton was quiet and relaxing – there was more Javanese dancing and the buildings were beautiful. I will post pictures next time – haven’t downloaded them yet!

I am currently staying just outside of Jakarta. Looking forward to meeting the WR staff and getting started with everything. I only briefly met Jessy at the airport since I left right for Jogjakarta, but she has been great with setting things up for me with the language class, making sure everything is taken care of, and checking in with me often.

I saw that the Patriot’s lost to the Jets – very sad!

Interesting tidbit - dunkin donuts was all over Jogja, I lost count around 10! and I am sad to say that I had some yesterday (but only because the airline was giving them out free last night because the flight was delayed).

Prayers for continuing to learn the language and navigating the culture and new places. And for finding balance in many areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment