The last three months of transition were crazy as expected,
but here we are at Christmas and I am already on my way home again! God certainly
knew what he was doing over the last several months of transition. It was not always easy, but I was able to say
goodbye to my old projects and get excited about my new project.
Last weekend I was in Foya to introduce the new sector
manager to the projects and say my goodbyes up there. It was sad, but good. Both the CDF and REAP
staff gowned me and gave me some good bye gifts which made me feel very appreciated! You can see some of the beautiful lappa’s
they gave me below! I will definitely
find some occasions to wear them in River Gee:)
And you can watch some videos of the fun dancing at the REAP end of year
celebration (they made the white girls dance at the end, but I have no video of
that and I am hoping no one else does either:)).
| REAP staff gowning me |
| At the REAP end of year celebration |
| Agnes - one of the REAP staff, enjoying the dancing |
| CDF Program Manager Rachael and I after gowning by the CDFs. |
At the same time as wrapping up my work with all the other
projects, I was kicking off our new project in River Gee. We started with an intense few weeks of
hiring, getting the baseline survey completed and logframe revisions done. We have also had some kickoff meetings and
trainings with county officials and health staff.
Working in River Gee and using a model that heavily utilizes volunteers is not going to be easy. The baseline survey hit home some of the challenges we knew existed - far distances, small communities, bad roads…etc. I was sitting and reading my Bible one morning before devotions during the baseline survey and I read Isaiah 40 – one of my favorite passages. Verse 26 says:
“Lift up your eyes
and look to the heavens:
Who created all these?
He who brings out the starry host one by one
and calls forth each of them by name.
Because of his great power and mighty strength,
not one of them is missing.”
Who created all these?
He who brings out the starry host one by one
and calls forth each of them by name.
Because of his great power and mighty strength,
not one of them is missing.”
| Some of the children in a community during the baseline survey |
My staff went above and beyond during the baseline survey –
some were hired and agreed to start the next day, some walked through swamps,
some walked up mountains. And this is
just the start of the three years! I
believe that just as God knows each of the women, he brought this team together
and will continue to bring it together.
I love working where others are not, it is one of the reasons I loved
working in Papua. Sometimes Liberia
seems overrun with NGO’s, so I am excited that this project will allow us to go
beyond where the crowds of NGOs are. But
sometimes, I wonder whether I can really ask my staff to have that same passion. Our country director confirmed that not only
is that my passion, but it is the aim of SP Liberia. At our kick off meeting, he
told the county officials that SP Liberia works in the places others don’t go,
and it will be the same here. He said if
the drivers are not getting stuck in the mud and the staff are not walking – we
are not working in the right places (my staff weren’t so sure about this remark,
but they had already walked many miles for the baseline survey:)). My prayer is that myself and all the staff
will continue to be motivated to work through the challenges to reach the
people of River Gee.
| Unloading motorcycles from the airplane to get us around the bad roads! |
I want to close by just praising God for where he has
brought me over the last year, for where he has brought our health projects and
staff, and for what he is going to do in 2014.
I am looking forward to a little break before continuing on and looking
forward to celebrating Christmas with friends and family. My favorite Christmas song so far this year
has been a gospel rendition of the Hallelujah chorus – I just can’t help but
smile everytime I listen to it –
“For the Lord God the omnipotent reigneth –
Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah…
And He shall reign forever and
ever,
King of kings, forever and ever,
and Lord of lords, Hallelujah! Hallelujah!…”
A good reminder of the reason for the joyous season we celebrate each year at
Christmas – Merry Christmas!
No comments:
Post a Comment