Friday, December 21, 2012

REAL Graduation

Wednesday December 12th I attended our sexual and reproductive health program graduation. The REAL (Reproductive Health: Empowering Adolescents for Life) program had a successful year, training 20 adults and 80 youth in positive sexual and reproductive health behaviors. The graduation was pretty awesome, here are a few highlights from the day in words and pictures:

Singing a song entitled "AIDS is real"


  • The REAL coordinator, Ma Clarice, gave a great message about the need for adults, specifically parents, to be talking to their children about these issues in a positive way and not encouraging early sexual activity.
  • Some of the peers had their parents in attendence and they came up with their children for the certificates. It was great to see them supportive of their children and the project.
  • The winners of the poster contest were announced.  The kids and teachers were very proud of their posters, and teachers in the bottom picture told me they are going to hang the poster up. 
 

Tamba
It was wonderful to see Matthew Tamba, one of the peer educators, walk up to receive his certificate. Two months ago I visited him with our REAL supervisor and he was very sick. His grandmother is his sole caregiver and has many other children. They did not want to take him to the clinic for various reasons - she had too many other responsibilities, there was the cost, the church wanted to pray for him rather than seek medical care...I had been encouraging the supervisor to recommend taking him the hospital but they did not want to go. When I saw him he was in so much pain, had fevers, and his pulse and respirations were very high. I encouraged the family to take him to the hospital, and this time they agreed. We used one of our vehicles and I went with them to the emergency room. I still don't understand exactly what they diagnosed him with, some kind of infection in his leg, but after about a month in the hospital on IV antibiotics, he was discharged. He is still recovering, but is improving more each time I see him. I am so thankful for God's timing, that I was in the right place at the right time to help and I am thankful for God's healing power in Tamba's life. Please pray that he continues to heal as he still has small pain in his leg.


Me and Tamba
The peer educators cheered so loudly for their adult volunteers.  It was so encouraging to see such a positive result of the leadership group's involvement with the kids  We had a hard time retaining the adult leaders, but those who stuck with it were quality and invested a lot in the peer educators this year.

Half of the adult leadership group
Here is the testimony of one of the peer educators... "I am Jessica S. Johnson. I am 18 years old, in the 12th grade. I was involved in to early sexual activities, while at the same time going to church. I enjoyed doing it and felt nothing was wrong with it. I used to be very arrogant to my parents, not having good relationship with others including my friends. I sat for the SRH training but was still involved into that habit. When I received my Bible we were told to constantly read God’s word. This I began doing, at the same time being reminded about the four essential components of salvation whenever we came to meetings. One day, I felt that my life was in danger. I therefore completely gave my life to Jesus. Right now, I am in control of the morning and evening devotion at my house. I feel happy because I do not feel any more guilt or fear."
  
Some of the peer educators
Though the graduation was long, it was a good day.  I am very proud of Ma Clarice and Agnes, my two REAL staff.  I am excited to start a new year in January with the project.


Me and Ma Clarice

No comments:

Post a Comment