Monday, May 30, 2011

Home Based Care Training and AIDS Candlelight

Alrighty – so the two big things this week – the HBC training and the AIDS candlelight…
First – the home based care training...overall not too bad. I must say there were some times I was very frustrated and depressed with it all, but there were other times that it was great. That seems to be the story of my life here, or maybe just life itself and I feel it more acutely here.

The purpose of the training was really to prepare the staff to do the trainings in Tolikara when they start the home based care part of the project – mostly Thoni and Rahel since they do most of the actual training there. We had also invited some of the other local yayasan partners working in HIV/ since it is not something that is really happening much here right now.

Like I mentioned – there were many replies of yes – and I had a panic moment the week before the training, but it ended up being small. Sad that there is not more interest or drive to do this, but easier and more comfortable for me. The first 2 days it was us and one or two others. One organization had forgotten and they sent two people for the last 3days.

From their feedback, the information was mostly new for them and they felt that they could use it in Tolikara or wherever they work. The feedback from Rahel and Thoni was especially helpful in thinking about the situation in Tolikara.

I think the most frustrating thing for me was the participant's focus on challenges, something that Heidy has also said she experiences sometimes. When we did case studies, I wanted them to think through how it could apply here even though it is a different situation. But they could only focus on the differences and particularly the challenge of no VCT or ART. But I wanted them to think beyond the challenges to problem solve those challenges and to think about how we can apply things in a context with those challenges. I want them to dream and think big!

I feel they think their situation is unique here, particularly with stigma, VCT, and ART; which of course every place is unique. Yet 5,10,20 years ago there was high stigma and little VCT or ART in other places (definitions: VCT=voluntary counseling and testing ART=antiretroviral therapy). It is a process, and here is just closer to the beginning still. But other places didn’t get where they are now by people sitting around saying everything is too challenging; but by getting out there, trying to provide care, advocating for these services.

I am not blind to all these challenges – trying to help plan these MCH and HBC projects I have come across many obstacles! But my first instinct is - ok how do we work with those challenges instead of give up. I think if there is one message I hope they got out of this week, it is to see that they can start caring for people now, with very little, and that itself can help inspire change in the situation.

And I don’t want you to think they are doing nothing because of the challenges! All the participants had stories to share about experiences caring for people – with or without HIV, and all are working hard in their organizations to tackle this problem of HIV/AIDS. I think it is difficult for them to think about how to help others overcome the challenges to specifically provide care, particularly in the far villages and districts where we work.

There is part of me that just wants to come back here to Papua and start working through some of these things. I am motivated by challenges and solving problems! Not sure if, when, or how, but I am open if God opens a door to come back, even if sometimes I just want to throw up my hands and say forget it! Besides, I already am well on my way to being able to communicate in bahasa Indonesia;)

Second…the AIDS candlelight. The youth forum has been working very hard to put this together. The KPA (local AIDS commission) and World Vision supported the event, and the youth forum did a lot of the planning and execution. The event went well – they did great. There were a few technical and weather issues, but those did not hinder it.
At was supposed to start at 3 – but tradition – started around 4:30. And it lasted until almost 9! There was a lot of worship and special music by not just the youth forum, but various other groups from churches and local yayasan. The youth forum led a lot of the worship, moderated, and did their drama.

I wish I understood more; other than the worship songs my understanding was like nil due to the sound quality of the microphones. I did get that there was a big candle lit for every organization working with HIV in Wamena, and everyone had a small candle. Not sure what they were saying while lighting the candles or what it was supposed to signify.

There were many people there, but whether they really got much out of it or were just there for a fun service and playing with candles, I’m not sure. But I know the youth forum and others that were involved really care about seeing people living in godly lives and in preventing HIV in their community.

During the training we read a case study that included a letter by a home based care volunteer that said we have to protect our own candle so it does not go out. As my little candle kept going out when I didn’t protect it from the wind, I was thinking about this and how true it is. The youth forum certainly has many individuals with passion for the Lord and HIV. Yet they historically do these one time events but have not met too regularly. Until this year, they have been getting together, preparing the drama, doing the Choose Life sessions. I pray that their passion would not die out, even though the work is difficult. They have some great plans and ideas, I pray that they would continue on with it.

That’s about it – moving the office this week – so pray for that. Then June is a busy month and I need to start wrapping things up!

No comments:

Post a Comment