I have been posting just on the weekends lately, but today deserves a post all of its own! Yesterday I heard there was a service for the 49th birthday at the church I’ve been attending. I didn’t really know what that meant, other than there’s a special service. But apparently it’s a big celebration here on the ulang tahun gereja – birthday of the church.
So I got myself settled in the office, but Rahel came in shortly after saying they were cooking at the church and John said to see if I wanted to go take a look. Well I’m not quite sure what I expected, but not what was there! In the yard next to the church there were a bunch of people working. As I got closer I realized they had several babi (pigs) they were slicing up, but then I noticed it wasn’t just several, but a slew of them (I heard about 20). Behind the men butchering the pigs, there were women peeling huge piles of sweet potatoes and all around were stacks of greens.
At first Rahel and I were just standing around with some of her friends. But then she said they were going to help – did I want to follow or wait there. I said sure, I’ll follow. Well, we made our way to the back where there was a long, wide stack of logs, stones, and grass burning. Nearby this burning stack there were several deep holes dug in the ground and a pile of more stones. Helping meant carrying the stones and throwing them in a pile behind the burning mass. So I started helping, but when the fire got going more, they said to wait back because sometimes the stones in the fire heat up and explode.
This whole scene was the preparations for the big meal that accompanies the service. This is the traditional way of cooking. They heat up the stones and then put them in the pits, put all the vegetables and meat in, cover it up, and let it cook. I was disappointed I hadn’t thought to bring my camera – it was a new sight for me!
Shortly after I stopped, Rahel finished and we walked back to the office. They said the service was at 11:00 but there was the usual phrase – but tradition – maybe 12, maybe 1. So I got to work and wasn’t sure whether they were going or if I would go with them to the service. Apparently the service started sometime around noon, and shortly after noon Rahel asked if I wanted to go – so of course I said sure.
The service was pretty much like a Sunday service for me – singing, scriptures, sermons. But there were a lot of police and important looking cars around. Apparently there were some important people there. At one point the service ended, but someone came up and started to read. Rahel explained the service ended but now they read the history of the church in Wamena, and then an official would speak, and another official. The mama-mama would check for the food to be ready, and after these speakers would be the food.
We didn’t stay for much after the service – Rahel kept asking if I wanted to return home. It always seems to be up to me – though I am happy to follow and hate making the decisions because I have no idea what is going on anyways! She said we would return later for the food. Well I also had the first English class planned with the youth forum and media volunteers that day, so I said I would like to try the traditional cooking but had to be back for the English class – so it depended what time the food was ready.
At about 2:30 – the food was going to be served soon. I didn’t want to miss seeing the results of the mornings work so I said I would go for a half hour at least! And I am so glad I did and I am so glad I decided to follow traditional time because even though I returned late, only 1 guy had arrived for the English class when I got there!
The celebration was not just for this church, but all the churches in the denomination in the area, so there were many people there – sitting in the yard waiting for food, and some still inside for the service. We sat down with Rahel’s family and friends – I met her mother and some other siblings and later her father. Soon after, some men began having everyone sit with their village area – so we were with Rahel’s family’s village, Tagime. Everyone was in circles and they would put the food in the middle.
The serving was a sight to see too! A bunch of people, mostly youth, including Rahel, went to where the food was cooked, and they would grab a handful of greens and potatoes and run them to all the clusters sitting on the grass and throw them down and get more. Eventually the meat was also starting to be delivered like this as well by some of the men, but I was already late for my own English class, so I said goodbye! I did try a little of the greens and sweet potatoes before I left though – so far so good with the stomach considering it probably touched many hands and was on a canvas bag on the ground!
Well – I get back and there is no one there! Heidy says one of the guys showed up but had left and then one girl showed up right after I returned. When we picked a time John emphasized to be on time, and if someone was late we said they had to sing in front of everyone…I was worried I would be the only one late and have to follow through! Slowly the youth started arriving. The youth forum is a mix of churches, so we figured everyone not at the celebration would be there, and eventually most of them came, even some came from the celebration came late.
I was a little nervous about the English class because I know some of them can speak English, but I don’t know how well because they are shy about speaking. So I planned some very basic stuff, just introductions – which introduced the pronouns, possessives, and the to be verb which they don’t have in bahasa Indonesia. There are some who speak pretty well and some who need practice, so it was good to assess that. They really just need confidence because they already knew basically everything I taught them today! And some are more confident than others, so it is hard to try and get everyone to speak.
Several times I said – see you already know more English than you thought! At the end I tried to get a sense of what they already knew and what they wanted to know. It was a little difficult, especially because the ones who speak more English answered first. I think we have a good list though – they came up spontaneously with both vocabulary topics and grammer topics as well as wanting to practice speaking and listening.
So it was a little rough for a first class, but I don’t think too bad. It at least gave me a sense of where they are at and where to go. I immediately sat down and planned the next lesson since it was fresh in my head… I think it will be going over vocabulary on colors, family, professions, and some adjectives – so that we can practice describing our families and other people. Any ESL/EFL teachers with any suggestions or ideas please comment, fb, email!!! I need help! I have tutored and taught class sessions but ALL in nursing or health related topics or elementary school kids!
That’s enough for now:) I will update again with the rest of the weeks activities, thoughts, etc… this weekend! I am trying to upload a couple pics on here, but if it doesn’t work, they will be on my picasa album shortly so you can check that out…unfortunately only after pictures of the feast though!
So cool! We got to see the traditional cooking when we were there, too, and the potatoes were delicious! I'll ask around for ESL/EFL advice. I have one friend who taught in Russia, and she said use lots of games (Memory) and songs.
ReplyDelete