Friday, March 4, 2011

Rain

If you saw my facebook status – maybe last week – I mentioned how I love falling asleep to the sound of rain. There is something soothing about it – the rhythmic noise that blocks out all the other sounds and thoughts. And it is relaxing – on rainy, cloudy days – don’t you just want to curl up with a good book on the couch and eat grilled cheese and soup…

I used to love when it rained – going out and jumping in puddles! Maybe because it involves water and I seem to love everything water…waterfalls, the ocean, swimming… Well today I was feeling discouraged and trapped, just waiting in Jakarta for my visa, and it started to rain. I had just had some quiet time with God – read Philippians 4 and Ephesians 6 - searching for peace for my restless spirit. When I was done I went out to the store and on my way back it started to rain so I hurried back.

As I was rushing back, I realized at some point, my enjoyment of being caught in the rain became practical – I don’t want to be wet all day, it’s a hassle…etc. When I returned though, I thought – it doesn’t matter – what is there to stay dry for today – so I went out and stood in the pouring rain for a few minutes, and it was wonderful! I just prayed as I was standing in the rain – God wash away all the frustrations and negative feelings. And it felt freeing.

When I came back inside I remembered that I saw a porch upstairs – so I went to see if I could find the door to it. I found it and the key was in it, so I sat and watched the rain. There were some kids out playing in the rain and the puddles and I enjoyed watching them play.

Needless to say – letting go of those frustrations hasn’t changed the situation – I am still waiting and I really don’t understand the process, even when I try to ask questions to gain understanding. So my prayer request is that things will wrap up soon with my visa so I can get back to Papua. And that I will find some contentment in being here…

A few positive things about being here…I had a nice shower…I got to cook my own dinner (eggplant parmesan –yummy!) and remembered how much I enjoy cooking…I have fast internet…I got to buy some books (in English…I finished my 800 page book wayyyy faster than anticipated since it is my primary form of entertainment in Wamena)…

So back to the rain and back to Wamena. Before I left, I had a nice weekend. On Saturday it rained earlier in the morning, but after it stopped, I decided to take a nice long walk. I ended up going around the airport (basically just one runway) and down a road out of town there. It was nice, hopefully this pic from my walk posts since the internet is faster here! And I enjoy saying hello to the kids – they sometimes say hi or bye, in English or bahasa Indonesia, but when I respond in either language, usually they start to laugh or giggle. Which makes me laugh.

Sunday was nice. I have been attending a church nearby with several of the staff and volunteers in the morning, which is in bahasa Indonesia, and in the afternoon I have been going to a small English fellowship that is at the MAF base. In between I have discovered the joy of being able to listen to PSC sermons online! Sundays can be a lonely day because I miss home more but between all those I am able to be filled spiritually:)

This Sunday it started to rain right before the MAF fellowship, so I waited until a lull to start walking – it was just drizzling when I left. But about half way there it started to pick up again. When I was close to the gate a car started coming by, so I got out of the way so I wouldn’t get splashed. It ended up being someone on the way to the fellowship who was kind enough to stop and pick me up:) I had met her a couple Sundays ago when I visited her church. The secretary at the church was at one of our trainings and had invited me.

After the service it started pouring – so she also gave me a ride back and invited me "down her way" (her house/the yayasan she works with) sometime when I return from Jakarta. She works with one of WR’s partner yayasan (local NGO’s) and is involved with the health team there. So that will be a good connection when I get back, thanks to the rain:)

During the MAF service the woman leading worship mentioned how we should be singing “Awesome God” – because it says "Our God is an awesome God, he REIGNS from heaven above…” and that made me think of a song we sang at camp in the rain “Lord REIGN on me…” So this blog now requires audience participation… and I want to know how many songs you can come up with that have the word REIGN or RAIN in them…(any songs, doesn't have to be just worship songs:)).

2 comments: