Monday, September 12, 2016

A Month of New

This has been an exciting month and a half. I finished my contract in Malawi the first week of August and came back to Kenya. The first day back we signed the lease on our new apartment. We are so thankful for the place God has given us. Steve had been looking around and hadn’t yet found one that was in our price range and met both of our desires. He stumbled upon this apartment while out with an agent and it just so happened that someone was moving out at the end of the month. He saw one of the other apartments that was occupied and knew it was the one so he waited another couple weeks until there was a vacancy and then jumped on it. It was definitely God’s timing! I have been enjoying cooking and baking in my larger kitchen and we have hosted several groups already including friends, co-workers and our Bible study. 
Picture from our two days camping


August was a busy month at church with Vacation Bible School and a family fun day. Both went well and at the end of the month Steve had a week off so we could spend some time together before the busy end of the year comes. Unfortunately we both got sick the first few days. However we were still able to go camping for two nights and visit family for another two nights! Here are a couple pictures from the fun day and our travels.

Our Bible Study group - the Bereans
Now we are getting into full swing for the fall semester! Steve started classes last week. He is almost done, just two semesters left! This semester he is finishing up several general classes which he can do online as well as doing his ministry practicum. Pray that he will be able to balance his classes and work well this semester.

Last week, I started with Christian Missionary Fellowship International at Missions of Hope International. Over the next couple months, I have the opportunity to spend some time learning Swahili. I will be spending my mornings at Missions of Hope and afternoons in classes with two other missionaries. It has been difficult to just pick up Swahili, so I am glad for the opportunity for more formal learning.

So far, I have had one day of general orientation. Next week each morning I will get a chance to be oriented to different aspects of the programs, particularly the health programs. On Friday I will meet with the health director and the team leader to discuss where I can get plugged in. While I am really thankful for the opportunity I had in Malawi, I am REALLY REALLY looking forward to joining the good work happening at Missions of Hope. It will be quite different as the expat missionaries with CMFI are there to come alongside the national team at Missions of Hope. They do not come in to manage programs and lead. While it may challenge my western mindset of having clear deliverables and getting things done, I think it is what I need right now. I hope that it gives me the opportunity to move away from management and focus more on the technical aspects of health. Please pray that over the next week both I and the team would see a good fit for me. Pray that I will be able to come in and humbly listen, observe and learn.


Thank you for all your support in getting us where we are. We greatly value your support – emotional, prayer and financial. We are really close to the targeted budget for the 9 months at about 92%. That is less than a thousand dollars to go! Please consider giving a one time or monthly donation at this link to help us with that final stretch!

No comments:

Post a Comment