Thursday, January 5, 2012

Goodbye 2011, Hello 2012

Happy New Year!!!!

Over the holidays I kept thinking about the past year and where I have come. It was a pretty incredible journey with many challenges but God was so faithful through it all. I want to start my New Year thanking God for some of the amazing things he has done over the last year, specifically the three I prayed A LOT about over the last year.

1) My mom’s good health after going through chemo and surgery last year
2) My friend Emily is together with her husband after a long year of waiting
3) A wonderful job in Liberia after completing three long years of school

And after praising God for his work last year, I look ahead to his wonderful works in the coming year. My verse to begin 2012 is Isaiah 28:16

“ So this is what the sovereign Lord says: ‘See I lay a stone in Zion, a tested stone, a precious cornerstone for a sure foundation; the one who relies on it will never be stricken with panic.’”

Well, I have really not kept up well with my blog so far in Liberia – I apologize. So for my first blog of 2012 I want to recap with little tidbits and reflections since my last entry.

Nov. 24th – Happy Thanksgiving - celebrated with the American/Canadian/British expats with a big turkey dinner and all the trimmings My boss lady also announced she is expecting…exciting, but wondering what that means for me….

Dec. 1st – World AIDS Day – participated in a school program with our OVC staff which was great. The whole week I had been thinking a lot about birth and death. There were two kids who drowned in the ocean by our house and then we drove by a bad car accident where 4 or 5 people had died the day before; so much premature death here. But then after the AIDS day celebration we stopped to see a staff member’s new baby. During the program there were reminders that AIDS is real and it kills, but also the message about living positively with HIV. The events of the week reminded me that we don’t know when death will come, but we shouldn’t live in fear and despair. We should live positively the days that we do have, whether many or few.


Dec. 8th – Unexpected opportunity that rather frightens me - my boss lady is leaving December 23rd to return to the US for the rest of her pregnancy, leaving me in her position as health sector manager. I am sad and scared by this, but it is also an exciting opportunity. I have had a lot of ups and downs since then, but this quote from Abundant Living has encouraged me - “God is opening a fresh book through your character and life. If you do not respond, if you hold back and frustrate His purposes, that book will never be revealed – the world will be poorer and so will you.” I needed the reminder to let God use me in all my strengths and weaknesses – just as I am.


Dec 12th-16th – First Foya trip - though already planned, it was even more important for me to see the rest of the health projects in Liberia before I become the boss lady. It definitely got me more excited about the coming year. The biggest reason for the trip was to represent the SP health office at the graduation for our sexual and reproductive health project. It was great to see the community and people we are working with. The awkward part was handing out the certificates with everyone stopping for the typical graduation hand-shake – diploma-pass picture; I am usually on the other side.


Dec. 22nd – Christmas riots - had a great meeting about expanding some of our nutrition work, but our trip back took 2+ hours due to youth rioting in the streets. We ended up stopped for an hour pretty close to one line of rioters and the riot police gathering. It was definitely pretty intense, wondering whether the police would act, if the growing group of youth would get further out of control. Listening to the radio, we heard that they were blocking multiple streets due to not being paid for vacation work. The police eventually broke up the group in our area and we made it home. However, there were cars burned and other damage done elsewhere. The riots continued the evening of the 23rd as well, but so far the payments are going ok and it has been pretty quiet since then. The ironic part – we were watching the riots under several giant billboards about the peace in Liberia. Not saying they haven’t come a long way since the war, but there is definitely more to be done.


Dec 25th – Christmas in Liberia – very nice, I spent it with the few other remaining SP expat staff. Went to Christmas Eve and Christmas Day services, did some Christmas cooking and baking, enjoyed the beach in Robertsport, and continued learning to surf. It was a nice holiday. A Christmas thought from Abundant Living – “ I too must become the word made flesh. I must be a miniature Christmas.” What a great way to say it.


It’s been back to work in the office this week, with a lot going on, and just me in the health office now. So far it’s been pretty good, but I can use your prayers!!! It is going to be a very busy month, so not sure when I will get around to posting next.

No comments:

Post a Comment