I have now been in Wamena a week and still enjoying it a lot. In response to the comments - I did deliver the books and notes to the WR staff and I have heard great things about all of you. Not sure if the notes have made it to the street kids yet, Heidy mentioned translating them first and handed them on. Rahel has pointed some of the kids out but I have not yet met them.
Rahel was told to look after me in Papa and Mama Game's note (not sure if I spelled that right, but that would be Jeff and Carrie's note) and she took that seriously this past weekend. We were also both a little shy at first, but Friday as we were all finishing up and leaving for the day she wanted to ask me something. With a little translating help from John she said she could pick me up for a music worship/concert event on Saturday.
So I said “ok” –
she replyed “setuju” – and I had a quizzical look so she said “accept”
and I said “ahh set…”,
“seseven”…another quizzical look – “tujuh – seven”…
ahhh “setuju” –
So I learned a new word I won’t forget! and accepted the invitation to be picked up by Rahel besok jam 3 (tomorrow 3 oclock). After the ice was broken – we were able to talk sedikit bahasa Indonesia, sedikit bahasa Inggris (a little Indonesian, a little English), and we both learned new words.
Saturday at about 3:15 Rahel came – Maaf, terlambat (sorry, late), but tradition here, the concert won’t start until later, maybe 4. So we walked around a little, it started to rain so we walked back to get rain jackets/umbrellas, and eventually the concert started. It was a worship event as part of the celebration of the first time a missionary brought the gospel to Papua. And it was fun – I recognized a couple songs from previous church/worship events and just enjoyed being there.
Before the concert I had some down time. I got to talk on skype to my parents for the first time since arriving in Indonesia – yay!!! Internet is better in the AM – so if anyone wants to skype – 4-6pm eastern time – ebethjoy (you might have to warn me in advance if it is on the earlier end so I actually get out of bed – that is 6-8 am my time:)) I have been trying to go to bed on the earlier side and get up between 6-6:30 because I enjoy having time in the morning.
This week will be my first full week in the office and I am getting more into the swing of things. I have spent time looking at some of the materials they use and the most significant change stories from last year. I have also been able to help a little with getting ready for the trainings this week and started gathering my thoughts on the home based care recommendations/assessment. The next 5 days will be capacity building trainings so stay tuned for more on that at the end of the week…
Life is always an adventure when you are crossing language barriers. Have fun, have a sense of humor, and be careful what you eat when you agree to something you don't understand!!! :>) Have a blessed day and be a blessing to all those you serve while you are there both your co-workers and the nationals you seek to serve. Love you!
ReplyDelete